Sunday, April 23, 2017

Treme (The TV Show)

I wanted to take a quick break from just plowing through different bands to turn your attention to a HBO show that ran from 2010 to 2013 called Treme. David Simon, who was also the creator of The Wire created this show to dramatize the way the Treme neighborhood in New Orleans worked to come back from the devastation brought by Hurricane Katrina and the government response that followed. I have not watched the whole series, but have caught a few episodes, and I love the way Simon uses a wide variety of characters, especially musicians, to show how vital each person is to their community.

Many of the New Orleans based acts I've posted about were featured on camera or on the soundtrack for many of the episodes. Critics have commented on how Simon effectively captures the spirit of New Orleans, and I was struck by how important brass band music is to the culture there. I realize that this is fictional, but I think that it's a fun way to get exposed to the culture I've been trying to write about.


No comments:

Post a Comment